Domain Name Forum  

Go Back   Domain Name Forum > Community > The Break Room
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Default Is Australia a better place than the US for skilled immigrant IT engineers?

Is Australia a better place than the US for skilled immigrant IT engineers from India? What advice would you give to new PR immigrants to find a job and settle down in cities like Melbourne or Sydney?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:08 AM

We were in a similar situation last year. Me and my husband both worked in good IT companies in Delhi and got Australian PR. At the same time my husband got the L1 visa for US from his organisation while I and our two kids got L2.

We mutually decided and he moved to US while I and kids stay in India, but we always wanted to move to Australia since we read that work life balance is better there and wanted more secure life for our kids.

I resigned two months later of his moving and started applying for jobs in Australia through Seek, Linkedin and Indeed. We got an Australian VOIP number and updated my location to be Melbourne and Australian phone number on Linkedin while I was in India.

I started getting calls and even had two round of interviews with 3–4 organisations in Melbourne but wasn’t offered maybe because I was in India.

Finally, I moved with both my kids and my parents(for their help) to Melbourne. I approached the organizations and told them I am in Melbourne now. Within 6 days of stepping here, I was offered a job of a Web developer(in India I worked as Engineering Manager in a Web Development company).

Finding job in Telecom sector from US was pretty tough for my husband. But he kept trying and after 3 months of continuous apply-interview process, he was hired on contract by a good firm. So, he came to Melbourne with a job.

People say we are lucky to bag jobs here, but we do feel that opportunities in US are way too far in IT than in Australia.

However, I am loving the peaceful life here and definitely the work life balance is pretty good, with all the facilities that don’t exist with even top notch companies in India.

Hope it helps. I know it’s tough decision but keep going and you’ll get what you want. Good luck
Old 07-14-2019, 07:25 AM

There is a reason why you are not getting a response from an Australian company. It's plain and simple, you are indian. The only way I recommend you come to australia if and only if you already have a job lined up. I would hate to see another qualified fellow indian working at a gas station or driving a taxi. Before you say anything, I am an Australian citizen from india with post graduate done in australia and have integrated into the australian society. The only way I have actually been called back for a job application is by dropping my Indian sounding name and putting only my Christian name on the application. The reason they offer for not hiring is no australian experience but the real reason is cultural difference and the fear of the unknown. For searching vacancies I can recommend https://au.jobsora.com/ this service.